One Nation One Fertilizer Scheme, Notification, Policy Details PDF | Centre implements One Nation One Fertilizer plan under Bharat brand – Various programs are being run by the Government of India for the development and upliftment of the farmers of the country. Now soon the central government is going to start a program called “One Nation One Fertilizer“, taking an important step in the field of fertilizers for the farmers. “One Nation One Fertilizer” is to be launched by the government on 2 October 2022 on the occasion of Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti under “Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan-Urea Project” and “Model Fertilizer Retail Shop”. Today we are going to provide you with all the necessary information related to One Nation One Fertilizer through this article, so stay with us till the end. [Also read- PMAY Online Form 2022: Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Online Form pmaymis.gov.in]
One Nation One Fertilizer
On 24 August 2022, the Union Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers announced the launch of “One Nation One Fertilizer” under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janurvarak Pariyojana (PMBJP), a fertilizer subsidy scheme. This program is being launched by the central government to bring uniformity in fertilizer brands and reduce freight subsidy. Through One Nation One Fertilizer, such companies of the country, which sell urea and other fertilizers, have been directed by the government to sell their products under a common brand “Bharat”. As per the order, it will be mandatory for all the fertilizer companies to sell their Urea, Di-ammonium Phosphate (DAP), Muriate of Potash (MOP) or NPK, all fertilizer bags under the single brand names, such as:- ‘Bharat Urea’, ‘Bharat DAP’, ‘Bharat MOP’ and ‘Bharat NPK’. [Also read- PM Kisan Beneficiary List 2022 | pmkisan.gov.in 12th Installment List]
Overview of One Nation One Fertilizer
|Article About||One Nation One Fertilizer|
|Launched By||By Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, India|
|Beneficiaries||Farmers of India|
|Objective||To bring uniformity in fertilizer brands|
|Benefits||All fertilizers products under a common brand “Bharat”|
|Category||Central Government Schemes|
Objective of One Nation One Fertilizer
The main objective of the One Nation One Fertilizer initiative launched by the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers is to bring uniformity in fertilizers by banning industrial diversion of fertilizer brands across the country. Fertilizer companies will now have to sell their products with ‘single brand’ and ‘single bag design’. In an order issued by the government on August 24, all the fertilizer companies in the country have been asked to display a single brand name and logo of the Fertilizer Subsidy Scheme i.e. Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Januvarak Pariyojana (PMBJP) on their product bags. Under this initiative, companies will be allowed to display their name, brand, logo and other relevant product information on only one-third of the bags of their products. [Also read- PM KISAN Registration: pmkisan.gov.in Registration 2022, Beneficiary Status Check]
- Along with this, it will be mandatory for them to display the logo of the single brand “Bharat” and PMBJP on the remaining two-thirds of the product bags.
- Through this initiative, the confusion of brand specific preference being faced by the farmers will be removed as the same N and P are used in fertilizers by different companies.
- The companies use 46% N in all urea brands and 18% N and 46% P in all DAP brands.
- The central government has advised fertilizer companies not to purchase old designed bags from 15 September 2022 as new bags will be introduced from 2 October 2022 under the One Nation One Fertilizer initiative.
- Apart from this, fertilizer companies have been given four months by the government till December 31, 2022, to remove the old designed bags from the market.
New design bags will be implemented from 2nd October
Let us tell you that on August 24, 2022, a notification was issued by the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India, according to which new fertilizer bags will be introduced by the government from October 2 under the One Nation One Fertilizer initiative. Along with this, fertilizer companies will not be allowed to buy bags of old design from September 15 and they have also been directed to remove these bags from the market by December 31. The Central Government has now made it mandatory for private and public companies to use only “Bharat” brand on fertilizer bags in place of various brands. [Also read- विकलांग पेंशन योजना लिस्ट 2022: (State Wise Payment Status), पेंशन सूची में नाम देखें]
Government’s Argument for starting One Nation One Fertilizer
The government’s rationale for offering One Nation One Fertilizer for all subsidized fertilizers being marketed by the fertilizer companies of the country is as follows:-
- At present, the maximum retail price of urea is fixed by the Government of India, through which the fertilizer companies compensate for the high cost of manufacturing or imports made by them. The subsidy is borne by the central government on about 26 fertilizers including urea as well as effectively fixing its MRP. Along with this, the MRP of non-urea fertilizers has been deregulated by the government on paper, but if the companies sell this fertilizer at a price higher than the MRP informally indicated by the government, they will not get the benefit of subsidy.
- Apart from giving and deciding subsidies, the government also determines where companies can sell their fertilizer products. This work is done by the Central Government through the Fertilizer (Movement) Control Order, 1973. As per this order, an agreed monthly supply plan on all subsidized fertilizers is prepared by the Department of Fertilizers in consultation with the manufacturers and importers. This supply plan is issued by the government for the coming month before the 25th of every month. Along with this, movement is also monitored regularly by the Government of India to ensure availability of fertilizers as per requirement including remote areas.
- The government believes that when it spends so much money on fertilizer subsidies and also determines where and at what price companies can sell their products, they should also get some credit. The cost to be spent on fertilizer subsidy has been estimated by the central government to cross Rs 200,000 crore in the financial year 2022-23. Along with this, the most important thing is that the government wants to reach this message to those farmers who do not consider the government as their well-wisher and remain against them for a long time.
The Program is Being Opposed by the Fertilizer Companies
One Nation One Fertilizer initiative announced by the Government of India is receiving adverse response from fertilizer companies. Fertilizer companies say that due to this initiative of the Government of India, their brand value and market discrimination will be rooted out. According to an industry official in a Business Standard report, this initiative of the Modi government is likely to cause huge losses to the fertilizer companies in terms of brand value. Apart from being a product differentiator, the brand also helps in building the image of the firm while visiting farmers’ fields, the report said by the official. [Also read- Agniveer Female Bharti 2022: Apply Online (महिला अग्निवीर रजिस्ट्रेशन) Eligibility Criteria]
- Along with this the official has also said that fertilizer companies do a lot of extension activities, such as:- field-level demonstrations, crop surveys etc., where their brands are prominently displayed and it also helps in reaching out to the farmers, but now with the launch of this initiative, all this will stop.
- The report also states that the company’s name is likely to be mentioned in a very small part of the total packaging of the product.
- Apart from this, there is also speculation that under this initiative of the Central Government, the fertilizer companies are expected to be limited to only contract manufacturers and importers for the government.
Congress targets Modi Government
Congress leader Jairam Ramesh, targeting the central government, has termed the One Nation One Fertilizer initiative as anti-industrial and Bharatiya Janata Party campaigner. Taking a jibe at the government for this initiative, he called it “One Nation, One Man, One Fertilizer”. It has been said by the opposition Congress party that the government is promoting the BJP party under the guise of this initiative. [Also read- Instant E Pan Card Online Application: Download Pan Card, Fees & Documents]
Fertilizer Companies’ Performance after the Announcement of the Plan
Despite this initiative announced by the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India, most of the fertilizer companies in the country have been affected by the BSE news that European companies are reducing ammonia production due to rising natural gas prices. This means that more export opportunities will be created for Indian firms like GNFC (Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers and Chemicals Ltd.) and Chambal Fertilizers. [Also read- PMJAY CSC: Registration, Login, Download Ayushman Card | Mera PMJAY]
Some Drawbacks of One Nation One Fertilizer
- Due to this initiative to be implemented by the central government, various fertilizer companies in the country will be discouraged from undertaking marketing and brand promotion activities.
- Under this initiative, companies are likely to be restricted to contract manufacturers and importers for the government.
- With the launch of this initiative, fertilizer companies are likely to lose their decades-long brand and trust of farmers in their products.
- At present, in case of any bag or batch of fertilizers not meeting the required standards, the blame was put on the fertilizer company, but after the launch of this initiative, this responsibility would be entirely with the central government.
- For this, the opposition party can use One Nation One Fertilizer against the ruling party.
Benefits to farmers from One Nation One Fertilizer
At present, different companies in our country provide fertilizers with different names and packings, due to which farmers are very confused in choosing different brands of fertilizers. Along with this, transportation cost and time increases on sending these fertilizers from one state to another and the fertilizers are not available to the farmers on time. Although 46% N in all urea brands and 18% N and 46% P in all DAP brands are used by the companies in common, farmers are confused in identifying fertilizers due to different brands and packaging. . To solve all these problems, the central government has started an initiative called One Nation One Fertilizer, through which farmers will now be provided subsidized fertilizers under only one brand. [Also read- Digital Health ID Card 2022 Apply Online: Download & Check Age Limit]
- Under this initiative launched by the Government of India, all bags of compost manufactured by different companies will be identical and they will be known only by the brand name “Bharat”.
- With the availability of fertilizers from different companies in the same packaging, there will be no confusion among the farmers, they will be able to easily confirm that these fertilizers have been made available only for agriculture.
- These same sacks will show that this fertilizer is subsidized manure, so that theft and black marketing of fertilizers can be stopped.
- Along with this, diversion of urea for industrial purposes will be prevented through this initiative and farmers will also be able to get cheap fertilizers.
Benefits and Features of One Nation One Fertilizer
- One Nation One Fertilizer is an initiative started by the Government of India, under which agricultural fertilizers will be made available to the farmers only under the single “Bharat” brand name.
- Under this initiative Prime Minister’s Bhartiya Jan-Urea Kin and all urea will be sold only under the brand name “Bharat”.
- Through this initiative, fertilizers manufactured by different companies will be sold in bags of similar design, so that there will be no confusion among the farmers about the brand.
- Black marketing and theft of fertilizers can be stopped if fertilizers are available with the same sack and same brand name. With this farmers will be able to buy fertilizers on time and at cheaper rates.
- Along with this, fertilizers will be made available at the same rate at all places of the country under this initiative.
- Apart from this, it will be necessary for the companies to put a barcode on all the fertilizer bags, which will be read through the bar code reading machine.
- It will be mandatory for the fertilizer company to sell fertilizer bags through bar code reading machines through POS machines under DBT to get fertilizer subsidies provided by the government.